Monday, September 16, 2013

THIS and THAT

I have always been fascinated by shiny things. I remember sitting with my grandmother as a young girl and admiring all of the gold rings she would wear (sometimes one on every finger). I specifically remember her gold snake ring with red ruby eyes that seemed to slither up her finger. She wore it on her index finger and I thought it was AMAZING! And, when she passed away, I became the owner of this ring. It brings such fond memories... of digging through her jewelry boxes and picking one piece of jewelry to take home (sometimes two) on our visits to Florida every summer. I miss the ocean. I miss my grandma. But, I feel like she is near me and I can hear her voice from far away in the distance. She was always full of advice... Of what we should do... "You should do this." and "You should do that." So, I am going to do a little bit of this AND that!

I am going to do a little bit of THIS... I have so many things that interest me: Upcycling / Repurposing Vintage jewelry, Hand-Stamping Sterling Silver, Wire-wrapping, Gemstones, Bead Stringing, Silk knotting, Silver-Smithing... (hammering, soldering, stone setting, ring making, forging, oxidizing). I love it ALL!

AND, I am going to do a little bit of THAT... I am going to work with GOLD!!! I am fascinated by gold... much like my grandmother's ring. And, I can't wait to LEARN!!! My GOALS are: To learn how to fabricate a piece of jewelry using gold (much like what I do when working with silver), To learn the Lost-Wax Technique (making a wax mold and casting jewelry), and To set faceted stones!!!

I feel like all of my jewelry interests have been a stepping stone to what lies ahead. And, ultimately, I hope to incorporate a little bit of my vintage eclectic jewelry into gold-smithing as well. I am excited to begin this journey and to share it with you along the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment