Thursday, August 8, 2013

Finding My Balance

I look around at my accomplishments in the past 5 years and I feel SO BLESSED! I look at my baby-fussing, 3-year-old-screaming, hot-dog-breathing LIFE and I miss it when I'm not here. Now, I am not saying that I don't feel overwhelmed and get frustrated at times with this life, but I have these two little accomplishments running around that keep me on my toes (and a faithful dog enduring constant tugging, climbing, and poking). Now, I need to find a balance between making jewelry and being a loving, nurturing mommy! 

While planning our family, my husband and I thought it would be best if I stayed home... to raise our children. It is something that I have always wanted to do... since fifth grade. I wrote a journal entry... "What do you want to be when you grow up?" My answer: a nurse, an artist, and a stay-at-home-mom (and a dentist, but I think that had something to do with knocking my two front teeth out in the fifth grade). 

Looking at the cost of childcare and raising a family on one income was scary for me. After the birth of our first son, I wasn't ready to quit my job altogether. I transitioned from a full-time nurse to part-time after returning from my maternity leave. I felt financially secure... but, I also felt like I was missing out on so much with my son. I wanted to be there for all of his "firsts." So, after working part-time for 6 months (and moving back to our hometown of Edmond to be closer to family), I decided to go "PRN" which is basically as needed and when I was available. 

I have always worked (since I turned 16 years old anyway)... and since I left my job as a nurse LAST October... it doesn't feel like it has been almost a YEAR! When people would ask me what I do for a living... I always answered, "I am a nurse." I feel like my nursing career is not over, but I am taking a break from it for the time being... to raise my family.

In the past, when I was working full-time, I was ALWAYS exhausted. On my days off (and after I got home from work), I would stay up late working on jewelry. It was my stress relief from a hard day. Every Fall, I participated in the hospital's "Home-Based Business Craft Fair." And, I participated in two local craft fairs in the Spring (May Fair) and Summer (Mid-Summer Night's Fair) in Norman, OK. 

I opened up my etsy shop: ahunterrn.etsy.com in January of 2009. My shop has steadily grown over the past few years. Etsy allows me to stay at home AND do what I love... make jewelry! It has been such a positive experience for me. While I still feel like I am contributing financially, I am finding my balance between motherhood and my passion. So... What do I DO? "I am a stay-at-home-momma-jewelry-designer!" 

This past year, I have had a lot of soul searching going on... and in my soul, I have found this peaceful little place of content. I put my heart and my soul into my jewelry. Each piece I create is a special part of me. And, it has grown with me throughout my life. My jewelry has endured high school, college, nursing school, a full-time job, heart aches, marriage, and now children! It is something that has always been constant in my life and it is ever-changing, a bit like me. 


p.s. ~ I'm a Libra and the scales are my sign... always trying to find balance!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment